Do cucumbers make you fat or lose weight? What are their main beneficial properties? How to use them? Let’s find out together. Cucumber ( Cucumis sativus ) is a vegetable that belongs to the Cucurbitaceae family and is native to Asia. Cucumbers are suitable for the heart and skin, but that’s not all!
Variety Of Cucumbers
There are mainly two varieties of cucumbers:
- long cucumbers ;
- gherkins (from pickle).
Both have similar organoleptic properties but are used in different ways. The gherkins are mainly prepared in vinegar.
Properties Of Cucumbers
Cucumbers are rich in nutrients beneficial for health. Let’s see what the main properties of cucumbers are:
- promote hydration;
- thirst quenchers;
Benefits Of Cucumber
There are several benefits of cucumbers. Let’s see some of them:
- Cucumbers are low in calories and high in water and nutrients. Among the vitamins of the cucumber, we find vitamin K and vitamin C, while among the minerals potassium and manganese ;
- reduce the risk of aging and associated diseases, such as diabetes two and cancer;
- they promote satiety;
- improve blood sugar levels;
- Promote intestinal regularity.
Calories And Nutritional Values Of Cucumber
Here are the nutritional values of cucumber per 100 g:
- 14 kcal
- Protein 0.7 g
- Lipids 0.5 g
- Carbohydrates 1.8 g
- Sugars 1.8 g
- Fiber 0.8 g
Does Cucumber Make You Fat Or Lose Weight?
Does cucumber make you fat? It isn’t easy! The calories of cucumbers are pretty low. Therefore, it is unlikely that more or less abundant consumption of cucumbers can make you fat. Cucumbers in the diet can be consumed freely. However, it should be emphasized that what leads to an increase in the percentage of fat mass is never attributable to a single food but to the energy consumed daily compared to that consumed. Just like cucumber doesn’t make you fat, it doesn’t make you lose weight either, so let’s say goodbye to the cucumber diet and any other single food diet.
Cucumber cultivation requires particular care and attention. It fears frost and must be grown in the hot season, from April to June, in moist soil. It is possible to resort to sowing or opt for seedlings ready to transplant, which can be found in the nursery. It is essential to water the cucumber plants often, leaving the soil moist without standing water. The harvest will be possible in early summer for about three months.
Curiosities About Cucumbers
- Cucumbers were already known three thousand years ago; the first crops arose in the East. They are mainly produced in Puglia, Veneto and Lazio.
- In ancient times, cucumbers were used to lower fever and ward off intestinal worms.
- The cosmetic properties of cucumbers were already known in the sixteenth century; in 1500, Pietro Mattioli, an Italian doctor, recommended using cucumber to make the skin more beautiful.
Contraindications Of Cucumbers
There are no particular contraindications to cucumbers. However, it is good not to abuse them to avoid problems related to the digestibility of cucumbers.
Recipes With Cucumber
Cucumbers are generally eaten in salads, alone, or with other vegetables to make cucumber juices, but we find the Tzatziki sauce among the keyset cucumber recipes! It is a typical Greek sauce.
- One white Greek yogurt
- One clove of garlic
- One small cucumber
- Lemon juice to taste
- Salt to taste
- Pepper as needed
- cut the cucumber into small cubes ;
- clean and crush the garlic ;
- add the cucumber, garlic, pepper, salt and lemon juice to the yogurt;
- mix well and leave to flavor in the fridge for about an hour;
- use the sauce to accompany dessert, meat or fish.