Lemons are not only super healthy but also help you lose weight. Here you can find out how it works – plus seven recipes with healthy tropical fruit. Sour, bright yellow, and fruity. Thanks to the essential oils in the peel, the lemon scent quickly puts you in a good mood and makes you alert and focused. But that is by far not all that citrus fruit has to offer.
Interesting Facts About Lemon
The lemon is an all-rounder in health and is valued for its high content of vitamin C – a total of 53 milligrams per 100 grams with a slim 35 kilocalories. This pushes the immune system and prevents infections and colds because vitamin C protects against viruses and bacteria.
The tropical fruit protects the body’s cells, helps with wound healing and weight loss, ensures firm skin, reduces digestive problems – and is the ideal weapon against hangovers after a night out because it detoxifies the body. It is also an all-around talent in taste: the citric acid it contains spices up dishes in hot and cold kitchens. Thanks to its essential oils, the grated lemon peel scores points: thanks to its essential oils, it seasons dressings, fish, or pastries.
What’s In It: Nutrients And Vitamins
|Average nutritional values||per 100 g|
That’s Why Lemons Are So Healthy
- Bodyguard With 53 milligrams per fruit, one lemon provides around half of our daily vitamin C requirement. This makes it an immune booster and has an antibacterial effect. Hot water with lemon is a tried and tested home remedy for colds – especially in combination with ginger! The tropical fruit is rich in magnesium, which also strengthens the immune system and the nerves.
- Beauty elixir Vitamin C stimulates the formation of collagen in the body. This keeps the skin, ligaments, and tendons supple, strengthens the blood vessels, and ensures healthy teeth, bones, strong nails, and hair. Collagen supports wound healing. As a powerful antioxidant, the vitamin also fights free radicals, which protect our cells from aging and is essential for connective tissue.
- Fat killer: The high amount of vitamin C in lemons is necessary for hormone production, especially for the happiness hormone serotonin and the neurotransmitter norepinephrine, which stimulates metabolism and fat burning.
- Distributor Because of their high acid content, lemons help to digest fatty and heavy foods more easily. The pectin from the lemon peel acts as dietary fiber and supports a healthy intestinal flora.
- Detox miracle The high potassium content of the lemon has a positive effect on the electrolyte balance in our body. Potassium has a dehydrating and diuretic effect, which flushes toxins out of the body and ensures the optimal functioning of nerves, heart, and muscles. Although the lemon tastes sour: The juice is an alkaline food and promotes the utilization of iron supplements – important for vegans and vegetarians.
Lose Weight With Lemon – This Is How It Works
Sour removes fat! The lemon has a record-breaking vitamin C content. With the help of this vitamin C (ascorbic acid), the body produces the hormone norepinephrine, which is essential for optimal fat burning. This messenger substance helps to dissolve the fat from the fat cells. This makes it easier for the organism to fall back on stored fats for energy production.
Vitamin C is indispensable for collagen production and therefore also influences the firmness of the tissue – it also supports tight contours. In addition, together with the vitamins B6 and niacin, it controls the production of L-carnitine, which is required for fat burning in the muscles. Ideal in combination with strength and endurance training! By the way: Losing weight increases the need for vitamin C because it increases in stressful situations, and the breakdown of body fat means stress for our body.
Increased urine production as part of weight reduction means that more water-soluble substances, including vitamin C, are excreted. The lemon diet with homemade lemonade, which, in combination with healthy foods, is supposed to melt the pounds off, is very popular among Hollywood stars. Lemon water as a routine every morning is also very beneficial.
Homemade Lemon Water
Our tip: drink fresh lemon water before breakfast or a homemade ginger tea with lemon. This gets the metabolism going and boosts fat burning. To do this, bring the water to a boil, let it cool down a little, and add the juice of half a squeezed lemon. Maybe sweetened with a bit of honey or agave syrup. For ginger tea, add a piece of peeled ginger tuber in slices.
Caution: ascorbic acid is susceptible to light and is destroyed by the action of heat. Tip: Do not add lemon to the water or tea until it has cooled down to a comfortable drinking temperature – otherwise, too much vitamin C will be destroyed.