Potatoes are the side dish par excellence; they are delicious and perfect even for those on a diet (a 250-gram portion has 212 kcal). The problem is that if fried, the calorie content rises, while if baked, it takes a really long time. For all these reasons, in this new article, I want to show you how to make potatoes in the air fryer.
Why do they use this appliance? By following this recipe, you get crispy, fresh potatoes like those made in the pan, but in half the time of those made in the oven (while also consuming less). As explained in the article on how the air fryer works, even in this recipe, you need to use oil, but in decidedly smaller quantities compared to other preparations. One tablespoon is enough for one kg of potatoes.
How To Make Air Fryer Potatoes
Ingredients For 4 People
- Yellow potatoes, 1 kg
- EVO oil, 10 g
- Bicarbonate of soda, 5 g (1 teaspoon)
- Rosemary to taste
- Coarse salt to taste
- Salt to taste
- Take the potatoes, peel them, and cut them into pieces of the same size, neither too large nor too small.
- Take a pot or saucepan, put enough water in it to submerge all the potatoes, and bring it to a boil. At this point, salt the water (10 g per liter of water), add the bicarbonate of soda, and add the potatoes. Bring it back to the boil with the lid on, then remove it and cook over low heat until the potatoes are floury, as in the photo below. Meanwhile, coarsely chop the rosemary.
- Bicarbonate is essential for creating an alkaline environment, which allows the external starchy surface of the potatoes to be “pulped” more. In this way, the seasoning will be absorbed more, obtaining a record crunchiness for the quantity of oil used.
- Once you have obtained the right consistency, drain them well and place them in a bowl. Here, add salt and oil, add the rosemary, and mix to uniform the seasoning.
- Preheat the air fryer to 200°C, then arrange the potatoes over the entire surface (it’s better if they don’t overlap). Cook them for 15 minutes straight, shaking the basket every 5 minutes. After this time, remove the basket and spray EVO oil over the entire external surface of the potatoes. A couple of puffs are enough. This step is essential for maximum crunchiness.
- To spray the oil, I advise you against buying a small bottle to fill because the oil is too thick to be sprayed naturally.
- Once you have sprayed the oil, continue cooking until the color level you like best. In the photo above, I left you with the result that suits my tastes. The air fryer potatoes are ready; I recommend eating them immediately for maximum crunchiness!
Regarding the fresh potatoes to use in the air fryer, the yellow ones are the best in terms of final crunchiness, but you can use the ones you prefer as you wish. For example, new potatoes are delicious, always in wedges and even with the whole skin. The seasoning can obviously be customized to your liking. I like them plain, with salt and rosemary, but you can easily use garlic, sage, black pepper, bay leaves, or, for a more oriental touch, sweet (or smoked) paprika. But we could go on forever.
Also Read: Is Red Meat Bad Or Good? Let’s Find Out!