Light dinner, and don’t be overweight. Essential oil of eucalyptus, peppermint and thyme. Infusions of nettle and sage. Medicines, lasers, and sprays, the catalog of products that should allow you to stop snoring, and emit an annoying night noise for yourself and others, is filled with products. You almost always risk wasting your money. Instead, you can avoid snoring and even defeat snoring (i.e. chronic pathological snoring) with some preventive gesture (evening physical activity) or with some food remedy.
How To Stop Snoring
Anyone who has the misfortune of sleeping with someone who snores knows the problem well, on the edge of a nightmare. A double problem, since the first victim is precisely the man or woman who snores: with this real pathology (one-third of Italians suffer from it in adulthood), you can then have problems with the heart and, in general, with the apparatus cardiocirculatory. Still, it is possible to stop snoring, not by wasting money and time on miracle drugs but by following our natural remedies to the letter.
Why Is It Strong?
We snore because a turbulent flow of air is unleashed inside our body when we inhale and exhale: the soft tissues present in our respiratory system begin to vibrate, and the annoying noises of snoring are created. The phenomenon affects men (40-45 per cent of the total) more than women (20-25 per cent of the total). The factors that lead to snoring can be different, but these are the most important:
- Overweight people, not to mention the obese, are the most at risk of snoring. Due to the high percentage of fat in the body, they tend to squeeze the pharynx, and thus the inhaled and exhaled air causes the soft tissues of the throat to vibrate and causes snoring noise.
- When you sleep on your stomach, the soft tissues tend to move towards the pharynx, causing a slight obstruction, at which point the air we breathe causes the vibration that leads to the noise.
- When you suffer from sleep apnea, there is the risk of continuous awakenings, leading to an interruption of the REM phase: hence the danger of naturally finding yourself snoring.
- Advanced age can also be a factor behind the phenomenon. The muscles lose tone, and the skin sees its elasticity collapse: the doors are opened to the vibrations of the soft tissues.
- The consumption of alcoholic beverages and sedative drugs causes muscle relaxation that intensifies snoring.
Natural Remedies To Stop Snoring
If you are not faced with a severe and chronic snoring situation that requires medical attention, here are some precautions that can alleviate the disorder and promote a good night’s rest:
- For starters, anyone who is overweight should try to lose weight. Contact a specialist as only he will be able to recommend the diet suitable for you and your body.
- Reduce alcohol consumption, especially during the evening hours: a high alcohol content can affect the normal air flow with consequent breathing problems.
- Choose a light dinner to aid digestion. Don’t dine too late and avoid fermenting foods such as cheeses. Do not go to sleep immediately after having dinner but wait for at least a little.
- Stop smoking.
- Practice at least half an hour of physical activity a day.
- Try sleeping on your side and keeping your head elevated by using two or more pillows.
- Use thyme essential oil, peppermint oil and eucalyptus essential oil to make ointments to sprinkle under the nose or aerosol solutions to inhale before sleep.
- Finally, avoid taking anxiolytic, narcotic and barbiturate drugs unless prescribed by a doctor.
- On the other hand, the infusions of nettle or sage to be taken before going to bed are excellent. Just add a few leaves to a cup of boiling water, leave to infuse for at least 10 minutes and then drink the herbal tea obtained.
How Should I Do Not Snore At Night
Apart from the preventive work to avoid snoring, some small gestures can be put into practice to prevent annoyance, especially to the detriment of those who sleep in our company. For example, light meals before sleep, do not sleep on your back, avoid junk food in the evening, and try a nasal patch. If the problems persist after the attempts made with natural remedies, it is good to contact a specialist to have a precise diagnosis and therapy.
How To Stop Snoring With A Simple Exercise
Try these straightforward and quick exercises to strengthen the tongue, thus reducing the frequency and volume of snoring :
- Bring your tongue out as far as possible and try to touch the tip of the nose, lower it and move to the chin, then to the side, first to the right and then to the left. Repeat ten times.
- Hold the tip of your tongue between your teeth, and make a closed mouth sound starting from a bass. Then increase the frequency and repeat ten times.
- Swallow ten times in a row, with your mouth closed and energetically as possible.
- Open your mouth as wide as possible and say “ah” for twenty seconds.
Tricks To Stop Snoring
The oils obtained from plants ( thyme, peppermint, eucalyptus) to a correct diet, especially in the evening, avoid alcohol and spirits. To eliminate the unpleasant habit of snoring, there is no need to waste money and time with miracle cures, often wholly ineffective, or with para pharmacy products sold at high prices. Just rely on simple but beneficial natural remedies. Among these, we must also understand some tricks that refer, for example, to the position in the bed: sleep on the side and raise the head and the upper part of the chest.
Remedies For Not Snoring
Snoring is annoying for those around us at night and dangerous for those suffering from this disorder. Sleep apnea increases cardiovascular risks, causes daytime sleepiness (dangerous, for example, for those who regularly drive) and increases the danger of obesity and diabetes. A pervasive and annoying problem that can also lead to other pathologies if not kept under control. Often there is a tendency to mistakenly believe that the person who snores sleeps peacefully, creating disturbance only to those next to him. In reality, this is not the case: even if many do not know it, the snoring person has a disorder known in medical texts as snoring.
Snoring: Causes And Remedies
In particular, snoring is a respiratory noise due to the vibration of the soft palate, which in some cases can give rise to breathing pauses during sleep, the so-called sleep apnea that can last from 10 to 40 seconds and is repeated a hundred times in the span all night. Therefore, the consequence is a poor quality of rest, which can also lead to sudden falls asleep during the day.
Are There Exercises To Stop Snoring?
As we have seen, physical activity is beneficial in stopping snoring. Then there are some simple exercises that we can do that help eliminate this cumbersome ailment. One of the most effective is the Strengthening of the soft palate. It works like this:
- Open your mouth wide and say “ah” for twenty seconds.
- Place your tongue as far outside your mouth as possible and take deep breaths through your nose.
- Repeat this exercise twenty times.
When To Seek A Doctor To Stop Snoring?
You don’t need to go to your doctor to stop snoring. Each of us can manage this disorder and try to solve it, or in any case, mitigate it, with the natural remedies we have indicated. The doctor’s intervention is helpful in some specific cases when our snoring causes insomnia in those who sleep next to us. When, after snoring, you wake up with a feeling of suffocation. When a child snores excessively.
Also Read: DOES ACTIVATED CHARCOAL WHITEN TEETH?