After reading the benefits and the many ways to reuse them, you will never throw away apple peels again (as long as they are organic). Apple is one of the most consumed fruits globally, but not everyone takes full advantage of its properties. Those who eat peeled lose some of its great benefits since it is in the peel that many nutrients are concentrated. If, despite everything, you still choose to consume it without the peel, at least don’t throw it away. Here are some tips and tricks for reusing apple peels.
Benefits And Properties Of Apple Peels
Strengthens Cardiovascular Health
Apple peel helps strengthen the cardiovascular system due to the high concentration of flavonoids and fiber known as “pectin,” which plays an essential role in controlling high cholesterol by reducing its concentration. In addition, it contains a significant amount of quercetin, a substance that has an excellent tonic effect on the heart and helps improve circulation.
Prevents Premature Aging
Thanks to its rich supply of antioxidants such as quercetin – considered among the most powerful – and polyphenol – with anti-inflammatory, anti-diabetic and anti-carcinogenic properties – apple peel helps prevent premature aging of the skin, neutralizing free radicals.
Improve Memory And Concentration
Eating apples improves concentration and memory. The peel, rich in quercetin, can improve brain functions, keep the memory active, and prevent neurological damage.
Thanks to its gelling and emollient properties, the pectin present in apple peel promote intestinal function, helping to digest food more efficiently. In addition, its high content of ursolic acid aids reduce fat accumulation and, thanks to its high fiber content, satisfies, thus also functioning as an appetite suppressant.
Reuse Apple Peels In Cooking
“An apple a day keeps the doctor away,” but to remove it, taking advantage of all its benefits, it should be eaten with all the peel. The easiest and most practical way is to eat fruit as it is. Otherwise, you could use one of the following recipes. But be careful, according to Dirty Dozen, apples are in third place in the ranking of the fruit most contaminated by pesticides, so by eating them, in addition to nutrients, you could take pesticides or other chemical molecules deriving from environmental pollution. To avoid this risk, choose apples from organic farming. Otherwise, it is better to peel them.
Infusion Of Apple Peels
A real pampering for the body, as well as a delicious digestive drink with which we can make the most of all the properties of apple peels. In this recipe, we prepare an infusion together with ingredients such as cinnamon, lemon, and honey, whose properties help fight the discomfort of the digestive system.
- peels of 2 apples
- ½ liter of water
- cinnamon to taste
- lemon to taste
- optional: honey to taste
- Heat the water in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Before the water boils, add the apple peels and cinnamon and let them boil over low heat for about 5 – 7 minutes.
- After it has elapsed, turn off the heat, strain the infusion and add a little lemon juice and honey to taste.
- Enjoy the moment and drink your apple infusion.
Apple Cider Vinegar, Or Rather Vinegar With Apple Scraps
This is a simple and zero waste recipe for making apple cider vinegar at home!
- peels and other apple scraps (except the stalk)
- warm water
- honey (1 teaspoon for every liter of water)
- glass container
- Put the peels and other apple scraps in the container, filling it for a little more than ¾.
- Meanwhile, mix the warm water with the honey.
- Then pour the liquid into the container until the apple peels are entirely covered.
- Cover the jar with food gauze or cloth and seal it with the help of a rubber band.
- Put the container in a place sheltered from the cold. The ideal is a temperature of about 20 ° C for four weeks.
- During this period, you have to check it once a week and remove it with the help of a spoon, if there is, a kind of white veil.
- After four weeks, the liquid will have turned into vinegar, and you should strain it from the fruit remains.
- Apple (waste) vinegar ready! Please keep it in glass bottles in the refrigerator.
Biscuits With Apple Peels
They could not miss the biscuits with apple peels that appeal to everyone, young and old.
- peels of 2-3 apples
- 340 grams of spelled flour
- 140 gr. of whole cane sugar
- 60 gr. of seed oil
- Two eggs
- One sachet of baking powder
- Cinnamon to taste
- lemon zest to taste
- To begin, caramelize the peel cut into small pieces in a saucepan with 40 gr. of sugar and a tablespoon of water. Turn off after about 5 minutes, when they start to be caramelized.
- Meanwhile, mix the flour, baking powder, remaining sugar, eggs, oil, cinnamon, and lemon zest in a bowl.
- Add the caramelized apple peels to the mixture and mix until a homogeneous and compact dough is obtained.
- Form the dough into two loaves and bake in a previously heated oven at 180 degrees for 20 minutes.
- After the time has elapsed, remove from the oven, cut the hot dough into slices as if they were Santucci, and put it back in the range for another 5-10 minutes.
- Ready cookies!
Porridge With Apple Peels
Apple peel porridge is synonymous with a delicious and nutritious breakfast! The peels will give a different flavor and add more fiber to your rolled oats.
Ingredients (For Two Servings)
- 300 ml of water or vegetable milk
- 70 gr. of rolled oats
- peel of an apple
- cinnamon to taste
- optional: seasonal fruit
- Pour the oat flakes into the saucepan and add the milk or water, the apple peels cut into small pieces, and the cinnamon.
- Cook the mixture for about 10 minutes over low heat, often stirring with a spatula.
- When the oats absorb the liquid and get a soft and creamy mixture, turn off the heat and add the fresh seasonal fruit.
- Ready breakfast!
Apple Peel Chips
- You can also quickly transform apple peels into a delicious and healthy snack in just a few steps. As with potato peels, it is possible to obtain delicious chips at no cost and that even children will adore, precisely with the scraps.
“Alternative” Uses Of Apple Peels
In the kitchen, apple peels can also be exploited for other uses. We will tell you some of them:
Cosmetics couldn’t ignore the great benefits of apple peels, especially for their antioxidant properties. Then let’s turn them into an excellent moisturizing lotion against dry and dull skin. You will not regret it. You have to follow two simple steps to boil the skins in half a liter of water for about 15 minutes. Then filter and let everything cool down. Ready lotion! To apply it, you have to pat your face with the help of a cotton swab.
Do-It-Yourself Apple Fragrance Diffuser
Who doesn’t like the smell of apples? You could make a homemade apple home freshener. You have to follow these simple steps:
- Dry the peels and cores of apples (here is how to do it without the need for a dryer)
- Once dried, place them in a cloth bag along with the cinnamon and cloves. You can add a thread and then hang it where you want the aroma to arrive.
Apple Peel Cleaning
The acid in the apple peel will help keep the cookware clean and remove stains from aluminum utensils. Just boil the containers to be cleaned in water with apple peels for 20 minutes. Try it before judging. You will be amazed. After knowing all the benefits and the many different uses, we are sure you will never throw away the apple peels again.